Trying to adopt a child can be a long, confusing legal process. However, we are here to help you navigate through this process in order to give you the family you have been longing to have. Adoption laws vary in each state, so it’s crucial for you to be aware of which laws affect your adoption process. Here are some things we would like for you to know while trying to adopt a child.
- There is a risk involved, even if the adoption seems secure. While we would love for adoptions to be free of legal risk, this isn’t the case. Birthparent relationships and adoption laws can be anything but a walk through the park. We cannot promise that adoption is 100% legally safe. However, we will promise to do everything we can to reduce this risk.
- Have your home study and supervisory visits completed on time. In order to finalize your adoption, certain steps must be met. If you aren’t meeting these requirements as needed, this could delay the adoption process.
- This takes time, but we are working as fast as we can. When you adopt, it can be stressful to have a baby placed with you while you are unable to get back home. We assure you that we will do all we can to speed up this process.
- It may take months to send the amended birth certificate. If you need the birth certificate for items such as a passport, let us know immediately. There is a possibility it may take longer than expected to receive the birth certificate.
- Act professionally during the finalization. This is an exciting time, and we are excited for you. However, this process takes place in a courtroom and it is important for you to remember your surroundings. Dress appropriately and act in a professional manner.